Smart FTP crashes on download

Ishryal

Smart FTP crashes on download

Post by Ishryal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased V3 of SmartFTP and I seem to have a problem that the previous version didn't have: whenever I select a remote file and press the download button in the middle, SmartFTP crashes. It doesn't send the file to the queue, it doesn't do anything other than crash with the Windows prompt of 'SmartFTP has encounted an error and must restart'. It then provides me with a useless help and support pop-up about the problem being with Windows Vista and I should see the KB article KB938979 to fix this problem.

Now, apart from the fact that when I try to download and install that patch from Microsoft it tells me it doesn't relate to my system since I already have it, this problem didn't exist with SmartFTP v2. I can download the file if I right click on the file choose download from the menu, but the middle button crashes. I can also upload files without a hitch so far.

Hope you can help.

System Info

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
(Build 6000)

CPU Speed : 2161 MHz
Total Memory : 2047 MB
Free Memory : 1081 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 3.0.1015.1
Time Stamp : 2008-04-29 21:17:09
Platform : x86
Id : 400021864
Days in use : 346

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.13.15
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.11.1
sfFavoritesShellExtension.dll : 1.0.1.9
sfTransferQueue.dll : 1.0.8.1
sfFTPShellExtension.dll : 1.0.6.1

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 3.0.1015.1

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.6000.16643

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

I managed to create a dump file of the crash with the Debugging tool for Windows. I have created a zip file, but it is quite large... well over 100mb. I don't particularly want to upload it, particularly with my ftp program not working correctly. There's 3 .dmp files over 100mb each, an ADPlus_report.txt and process_list.txt files, and a single .log file. The three dmp file are named:

1st_chance_Process_Shut_Down
1st_chance_AccessViolation
2nd_chance_AccessViolation

If there is one that is of particular interest I can upload a zip of that file.

Oh, and I'll also put my 2cents in with disliking of the queue option... I had it turned off in the previous as I didn't, and still don't, have a need for a queue... but I'm sure I will get used to it. It's just a pain the arse that I have to update my 30+ favourites in order to "setup a dual transfer environment"... and even then I'm not sure it is going to work because I am constantly working with 5 to 10 websites at a time and uploading seperately to each of them. (Or am I missing something about the dual transfer situation?). Anyway we can have a global setting that one can set that would create the dual transfer scenario automatically, with the favourites being used to overwiite this setting?

Also, is there anyway to get the old style warning messages back? I personally hate the Vista 'Copy, Copy and replace' warnings I get now with SmartFTP v3 when I'm going to overwrite a file. The old style was so much more simpler.

mb
Display name: Mat (SmartFTP)

Re: Smart FTP crashes on download

Post by mb » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:21 pm

Please zip the file "1st_chance_AccessViolation" and upload it to:
www.filebeam.com
or
www.rapidshare.com

Thank you.

Regards,
Mat
Last edited by mb on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ishryal

Post by Ishryal » Thu May 01, 2008 12:10 am

Hi,

I have uploaded that file to the following url:

Click HERE

Cheers

mb

Post by mb » Thu May 01, 2008 1:05 am

Thank you.

What is the current location (what folder are you downloading the files to) in the Local Browser?

Does it happen with all destinations or just one particular folder?

Regards,
Mat

Ishryal

Post by Ishryal » Thu May 01, 2008 2:30 am

For a moment there I thought it was working, but now the problem remains. I tried to replicate what I did to see if I could get it working again, but to no avail. It was working after it had crashed. When I tried to start it again, I had lost ALL my favourites. In order to get them back, I copied the files from favourites.old folder in my AppData\Roaming\SmartFTP\Client 2.0 to the favourites folder in the same directory. Restarted SmartFTP, and that was when it was working. Not sure if that helps at all.

As for your question, it happens for all folders, regardless of location/partition/drive.

Ishryal

Post by Ishryal » Thu May 01, 2008 2:32 am

Also, it works if I choose Download To -> and choose the current folder in the Local Browser. For some reason it only occurs when I use the download button in the middle bar.

mb

Post by mb » Thu May 01, 2008 2:58 am

Please try it again with the latest version
https://www.smartftp.com/download

BTW: No favorites will get lost because of a crash in SmartFTP. You can find them in the menu: Favorites->Edit Favorites. The old favorites.old is not used in the vesrion 3.0.

Regards,
Mat

Ishryal

Post by Ishryal » Thu May 01, 2008 3:07 am

Nope, same problem. Version 3.0.1015.2...

As for the favourites, I couldn't edit them because there was nothing there to edit... the folder was empty and the Edit Favourites didn't work. If it happens again I'll let you know.

mb

Post by mb » Thu May 01, 2008 3:09 am

Can you create another crash dump with the new version?

Do you have anything "special" installed on your computer? Antivirus or other tools that hack into the system?

Thank you.

Regards,
Mat

Ishryal

Post by Ishryal » Thu May 01, 2008 3:12 am

Also, and this is just a bit of annoyance, when I install SmartFTP, it asks me to shut down Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer)... so I tell it to do it automatically, and it closes Vista down (as in the explorer.exe... it doesn't shut down my computer). Luckly Vista reboots explorer.exe when the SmartFTP program finishes installing. Not sure if it's related to anything, but yeah, just an annoyance and concern.