Just installed the newest version, 3.0.1018.3:
- Natural sorting is now correct for numbers with leading zeros.
- Initially unsorted bug remains.
- Folders in TreeView are initially sorted even when they are not initially sorted in ListView.
- Initially unsorted bug sometimes occurs for folders I have previously visited with the SmartFTP 3.0 series.
- Initially unsorted bug sometimes occurs for folders I have previously set sorting options, even in the 3.0 series.
I'm pretty sure it was always correct in the 2.5 series. I noticed the initially unsorted problem when I upgraded to the 3.0 series. I think it was unsorted right from the first view of the first FTP site I opened. I assumed my sorting preferences hadn't been carried forwards with the upgrade.
I only use the Icons view. I only right-click the ListView area to use context menu to sort the items. So, for each unsorted folder I have come across, here's what I do:
- First visit to a folder using 3.0 series. Initially unsorted in the ListView but notice illCOM and test are sorted properly in the TreeView:
- Right-clicked and selected Arrange Icons By > Name:
- The sorting option is applied. Order is correct, with two .png files amongst the .jpg files:
- Right-click again and select Arrange Icons By > Type:
- The sorting option is applied. Order is correct, with two .png files after the .jpg files:
- Right-click once more and select Arrange Icons By. None of the sort items are ticked, which seems like a bug:
- Compare with the context menu in Windows XP's Windows Explorer. A group of radio menu items are used, with the current sort option given a bullet point:
I have caching enabled in the Connection
area of SmartFTP's Settings
On other servers, in some folders I initially get arrangement by type but not by name. Other folders are initially unsorted. Sometimes the direction of Type
sorting is initially opposite to what I would want. It happens more than not but the precise nature varies. I can't pin down any particular pattern, sorry. Folders never get mixed in with files.
As you can see from the screenshots, I use highly customised and simplified interface arrangement.
If you'd like to access the FTP servers I control, send me a PM and I'll reply with the login details. If you'd like any registry key values or configuration files, just let me know where to get them from. Thanks for looking into this. Looks like a sneaky one!