Amazon S3 Support yet?

Got a good idea? Want to share it? Then please take a moment to submit it.
U2502

Amazon S3 Support yet?

Post by U2502 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:03 am

I know this has been requested in the past, but I am wondering if this will ever be incorporated. I know that Panic Transmit for the Mac supports Amazon S3. Is there anyway for SmartFTP to do this? Thanks so much.

--micah
Last edited by U2502 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mb
Display name: Mat (SmartFTP)

Re: Amazon S3 Support yet?

Post by mb » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 am

It's planned but we have seen no demand for it. Also the problem is that every provider using S3 introduced a different (most undocumented) file system protocol.

Regards,
Mat

famousartguy

Post by famousartguy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:04 pm

It's planned but we have seen no demand for it. Also the problem is that every provider using S3 introduced a different (most undocumented) file system protocol.
Regards,
Mat
I personally think there is huge demand for it. I don't think there should have to be a forum poll for this one?
Would it be a possible consideration soon? I think that would only pull more customers to SmartFTP!?

tophfisher

Post by tophfisher » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:36 pm

I personally think there is huge demand for it. I don't think there should have to be a forum poll for this one?
Would it be a possible consideration soon? I think that would only pull more customers to SmartFTP!?
Hmm.. I don't think my posts pleading for S3 support are making it through... Getting forum errors.. Desperate for SmartFTP to support S3, I'll pay double for an S3 version!!

-Chris
PS. The Mac guys have like a dozen FTP clients with S3 support, on Windows we don't have a single good choice.. Please fix this SmartFTP devs!

mb

Post by mb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:47 pm

A basic S3 client would "only" be able to handle the raw buckets. Would that be sufficient? Or do you also want support for proprietary file system based on S3 (e.g. Jungle Disk, etc)?

hunsford

Post by hunsford » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:56 pm

A basic S3 client would "only" be able to handle the raw buckets. Would that be sufficient? Or do you also want support for proprietary file system based on S3 (e.g. Jungle Disk, etc)?

I'm looking for bucket support. Anything additional would be a nice-to-have in the future, but at this point, I'm just looking for the basic S3 client you describe above. Thx.

mb

Post by mb » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:45 am

What would you use the client for?

Backup of S3 storage?

Regards,
Mat

tophfisher

Post by tophfisher » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:25 am

What would you use the client for?

Regards,
Mat

Just to jump in here..

The main use we have for S3 is hosting our large media files, so we have H.264 bucket, WMV bucket, MP3 bucket, etc. So uploading media files to those, setting the ACLs, and what is always a great to have feature is a right click copy URL and get the HTTP URL of the file. Then I can paste that directly into the show post.

Backup is really not that important for my needs, mostly just for basic file upload/download.

I seriously would have huge smile if I saw SmartFTP ship with S3, even if it was not beyond the basic stuff.
-Chris

ericdeko411

Post by ericdeko411 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:24 am

Just to jump in here..

The main use we have for S3 is hosting our large media files, so we have H.264 bucket, WMV bucket, MP3 bucket, etc. So uploading media files to those, setting the ACLs, and what is always a great to have feature is a right click copy URL and get the HTTP URL of the file. Then I can paste that directly into the show post.

Backup is really not that important for my needs, mostly just for basic file upload/download.

I seriously would have huge smile if I saw SmartFTP ship with S3, even if it was not beyond the basic stuff.
-Chris

I would also feel the same. SmartFTP with S3 will be a great use to me and to my website.

kj100

Post by kj100 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:01 am

Although I use and like SmartFTP I've been recomending xyz FTP to clients who are considering using Amazon S3. Any chance we can have a date for basic S3 capability in SmartFTP?
Last edited by kj100 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.