Maintenance : 2010-08-26
Days in use : 555

+- Language ---------------------------
en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 8.0.7600.16385

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

I have noticed a very frustrating little issue since I updated to Windows 7 (and so presume that it may not be a fault of Smart FTP!). I list all my files in the local PC view by 'DATE MODIFIED' so that when I change a file on my PC and go to upload it, it is already at the top of the list of files to upload (as it has the latest 'DATE MODIFIED'. However, now it appears that when I have edited a file, it does actually change the time and date under DATE MODIFIED, but does not move the file to the top of the list. Instead, I have to press 'DATE MODIFIED' twice to re-order everything, or click on a different search delimiter and go back to DATE MODIFIED.

It used to be that Smart FTP instantly reordered files when they had been changed, and I would love to know how to set it so that it does that again. To confirm, I uploaded the latest version of Smart FTP this morning.

Many thanks,
Neil

Hello ..

Auto sorting for updateitem shell notifications has been disabled for performance reasons. Sorting and refreshing the view is an expensive task.

Imagine the following situation:
- Remote Browser with 1000 items
- The transfer queue sends updateitem notifications when uploading a file. About 1 updateitem notification per 2 seconds for every item that is uploading
- The Remote Browser would auto sort the list for every updateitem or let's say only once per 5 seconds. Sort takes about 1-5 seconds.
- Now imagine you are transferring thousands of items and have a couple of remote browsers open showing the directory you are uploading the files to. While you may think this is not a very common situation users have frequently reported this.
- The application constantly updates/sorts the view and uses 100% of the CPU resources

It is probably possible to distinguish between transfers (many updates) vers remote edit (only few updates) and enable autosort accordingly.

Regards,
Mat

howard-moore
Nov 19 2009 12:48 PM
Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by distinguishing between 'transfers' and 'remote edit', but frankly I am surprised that this has been turned off as a feature.

I look after around 300 websites and often have many local browsers open, and have never had an issue with the CPU 'overheating' or SmartFTP using anything like 100% of the CPU. Indeed, it has always been one of the most low-use applications.

It there a way to have this turned back on, as I am very frustrated with having to manually refresh every time I go to upload recently edited files?

Regards,
Neil

howard-moore
Dec 01 2009 12:46 PM
I note that I have not had a reply to this comment / question. Kindly update me with a response.

Rgds,
Neil

ps. Your notification of replies via this forum is also not working as it should do. I receive no notifications when you do actually post a reply.

Updating status to: Working as Intended

I think I have explained the behavior in my last post.

howard-moore
Dec 02 2009 09:56 AM
Firstly, I disagree that you have adequately explained the behaviour - as my post clearly demonstrates I am unsure what you mean.

You have also not answered my question - I purchased a product that did something that I was happy with, and have subsequently been 'upgraded' to a product which does not function as I intended and which I would not have purchased had it done this originally. Kindly let me know whether there is a way to have this feature turned off, or how to reinstall a previous version of the programme.

You have also not addressed the issue of non-notification by email through this forum.

Now that this is a product that people pay for each year, I feel that an increase in dedication to customer care could be considered!

>Email notification
It seems to be a bug in the IP.Tracker application. I have already reported it but so far there is no feedback on that. For more information see:
http://community.inv...584-empty-mail/

howard-moore
Dec 03 2009 08:46 AM
Thank you for letting me know about the email notification. For info, I did in fact receive a notification for the last update.

I look forward to your response regarding my additional questions re. the ability or not to turn back on the auto-updating of files in the local view and if not whether I am able to revert to a previous version where this was a feature.

Rgds,
Neil

Auto sort in the Local Browser works as expected with Build 1072 here. In the Remote Browser auto sort is disabled due to the reasons described in the previous post.

howard-moore
Dec 05 2009 08:36 AM
Thank you for the replay, but I am afraid it has left me rather more confused. My issue is that Auto-sort is not working in the Local Browser. I am not concerned about the Remote Browser, as that is not where I make amendments to files (they are obviously done off-line).

Can you please confirm whether auto-sort is meant to work in the Local Browser or not?

Thanks,
Neil

Auto sort should work in the Local Browser. Did you test this with the latest build 1072?

howard-moore
Dec 06 2009 10:53 AM
I have uploaded to build 1072 and the issue still remains in the local browser.

howard-moore
Dec 09 2009 12:30 PM
Can you please let me know when I can expect a response to these questions?

Regards,
Neil

We are unable to reproduce the problem. If you can provide a Vmware VM (Win7 installation with nothing but SmartFTP installed) where the problem occurs we can debug it.

howard-moore
Dec 09 2009 12:54 PM
I have absolutely no idea what a VMware is, what it does or why I have to do it.

Frankly I do not understand why I should be producing these issues for you when I have already gone to the expense of purchasing your product.

Please provide a more suitable anwser or instructions as to how this can be resolved.

Regards,
Neil

Updating status to: Confirmed

Updating status to: Bug caused by 3rd party

After further investigation it seems that it is anomaly (bug?) in Windows 7. We tested it with several Windows 7 installations and auto sort sometimes worked but most of the time it didn't. We experienced the same issues with Windows Explorer as well. So the problem is not limited to SmartFTP. At this time all we can do is wait for Microsoft to release a bug fix for issue.

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users