• 3rd party bug

• -

• -

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (0)No (0)
Photo

No icon in taskbar

Posted by frame on 21 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

SmartFTP 4.0 Build 1138 has no/a broken icon in the taskbar on my system. The previous build was fine.

Posted Image

I tried to re-run the latest installer and clicked on "repair" - no change.

Thank you!

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 
 (Build 7600)

CPU Speed           : 2672 MHz
Total Memory        : 12279 MB
Free Memory         : 10131 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version             : 4.0.1138.0
Time Stamp          : 2010-09-18 00:27:58
Platform            : x64
Id                  : 400111970
Maintenance         : 2012-08-01
Days in use         : 74

+- Language ---------------------------
en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version             : 9.0.7930.16406

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock             : 2.2

Updating status to: Awaiting Feedback

Uninstall SmartFTP

Then install it again.

I've just un- and re-installed three times but there's no change: The icon is still missing. I've also checked if any old files were left over in the program directory.

btw, BackupTool.exe has an icon and so do my other tools.

I noticed one thing tho: The broken/default is no longer the same.

Posted Image

Edited by frame, 22 September 2010 - 11:04 AM.

I'm sorry but I don't know why this does not seem to work in your case.

I'm sorry but I don't know why this does not seem to work in your case.

Could you please send me the previous 64bit build? I'm suspecting the IE9 beta has something todo with it, but I'd need the older version to fully verify my theory.

Thank you!

I've been able to get rid of this issue by running "CCleaner" (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner), a tool that prunes caches and log-files.

Sadly, I'm not 100% sure which specific clean resolved it (it was nothing at "System" or "Advanced"), but I'll report back when I bump into the issue again. I've never seen this effect at another application, so this might be something for your FAQ.

Thank you for your feedback.

I finally figured it out:

After every update SmartFTP creates a desktop shortcut as well as a Start Menu entry:

When I start SmartFTP via desktop shortcut no icon gets displayed. Same when starting the binary directly.
However when starting SmartFTP via Start Menu entry the icon shows up and also "fixes" the other launching methods: Now it's displayed at all times.

"CCleaner" has nothing to do with it. Reboot after update or terminate explorer.exe doesn't matter.

I'm attaching both shortcuts: SmartFTP_Shortcuts.zip - I copied the .lnk to .txt

Do you think this is something that's only happening on my machine?

A good question I don't really have an answer for. But judging from the number of users (including us) using SmartFTP on Windows 7 and not seeing this problem, it may indeed be an isolated case.

Yes, I thought so too :)

Ok, then let's close this ticket. Thanks!

I finally figured how this problem occurs:

When you move "Start Menu\Programs\SmartFTP Client" to another directory (like "Start Menu\Programs\Development\SmartFTP Client" as in my case) and you install a SmartFTP update your program is no longer able to draw a taskbar icon.

I got no clue why this happens, maybe because the StartMenu entrance isn't a regular shortcut item, but uses some GUID.

Seen on Windows 7 SP1 64bit

It looks like a bug in Windows / MSI.

mb  
changed status to: 3rd party bug

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users