• Unfiled

• -

• -

Issue Confirmations

• Yes (0)No (0)
Photo

Window menu is blank

Posted by Jordan Bradford on 20 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

This has been happening since at least 4.0.1137.0 and is still present in 1138.

If a remote browser tab is selected, the application's Window menu will be empty. You have to click on a local browser tab for the Window menu to show any options. This also happens if there is no local browser and only a remote browser, so you have to close the remote browser to get the Window menu to appear.

Updating status to: Awaiting Feedback

I couldn't reproduce your findings. Please try this:
http://www.smartftp....ings-f2625.html

If this doesnt help post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information" dialog in SmartFTP.

Thank you.

Jordan Bradford
Sep 20 2010 05:54 PM
That fixed it. Thanks.

Updating status to: Resolved

Jordan Bradford
Sep 21 2010 03:10 AM
It's happening again, and I have some idea why.

The blank Window menu problem begins after a different bug occurs. I don't really know how to reproduce the other bug, but what happens is this: On occasion I'll be dragging a file from a remote to a local browser and an alert window appears that has no text and no dimensions, such that all that's visible is the alert box's wide red Close button (I'm in Vista) and the alert box's borders. This appears in the center of the SmartFTP application window. You can't drag it out of the way, and clicking its Close button does nothing. You have to press the Escape key to get rid of it.

After that the Window menu will be blank, and this time it's blank until all tabs/windows are closed. Restarting the program doesn't fix it. (It didn't the last time, either, but I thought I'd mention it.)

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 
Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

CPU Speed           : 2210 MHz
Total Memory        : 2047 MB
Free Memory         :  856 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version             : 4.0.1138.0
Time Stamp          : 2010-09-18 00:27:58
Platform            : x86
Id                  : 400080514
Maintenance         : 2013-07-09
Days in use         : 790

+- Language ---------------------------
en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version             : 7.0.6002.18005

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock             : 2.2

Edited by Jordan Bradford, 21 September 2010 - 03:11 AM.

Jordan Bradford
Sep 21 2010 03:14 AM
If it helps, I can send you an export of SmartFTP's registry keys before I delete them again.

Updating status to: Awaiting Feedback

Yes please send the exported registry by email to support@smartftp.com. Rename the .reg file to .txt

And if possible can you also post a screenshot from the dialog box you have mentioned in your last post?

Thanks
Mat

Updating status to: Confirmed

I was able to reproduce it. I will do further tests to see what causes the problem.

For menu customization support, SmartFTP saves the complete menu with all its items into the registry. For some reason the Windows sub-menu is not correctly serialized and the next time it is loaded, no items are displayed in the Windows sub-menu. I could not figure out what triggers this, but it is most likely related to the other issue with the empty error message box you are seeing. Now the question is, do you know any way to reproduce the problem with the message box?

Thank you
Mat

Jordan Bradford
Oct 12 2010 01:47 PM
No, and it hasn't happened again so far. If it does I will update this thread.

Jordan Bradford
Jan 13 2011 08:59 PM
I triggered that empty dialog box just now.

-The local browser is on the left, the remote browser is on the right, and their navigation is synchronized.
-I was in a css/ directory, I clicked the remote browser's go-up-a-level button and then very quickly scrolled the file list down past several folders to put the files in view (so that I wouldn't subsequently drag a file into a folder accidentally), at which point I dragged a file from the local side to the remote side. When I let go of the mouse button the empty dialog appeared.

Triggering the dialog might have to do with how quickly I did all these steps; I'm not sure.

I'm working on a screenshot; I have to redact a lot of our client's identifying things first.

Please post the system information from the menu: Help->About "System Information" dialog. Thanks.

Jordan Bradford
Jan 19 2011 03:49 PM
+- System -----------------------------

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 

Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)

CPU Speed           : 2210 MHz

Total Memory        : 2047 MB

Free Memory         : 1419 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version             : 4.0.1156.0

Time Stamp          : 2011-01-11 20:16:58

Platform            : x86

Id                  : 400080514

Maintenance         : 2013-07-09

Days in use         : 910

+- Language ---------------------------

en-US

+- Internet Explorer ------------------

Version             : 8.0.6001.18999

+- Winsock ----------------------------

Winsock             : 2.2

Install the latest version:
http://www.smartftp.com/download

Is there any reliable way to reproduce the problem?

Jordan Bradford
Feb 23 2011 02:56 AM
(This posted three times)

Edited by Jordan Bradford, 23 February 2011 - 02:59 AM.

Jordan Bradford
Feb 23 2011 02:57 AM
(This posted three times)

Edited by Jordan Bradford, 23 February 2011 - 02:59 AM.

Jordan Bradford
Feb 23 2011 02:57 AM
I did it just now. It has something to do with being deep in a directory structure on the remote server, clicking the Up button on the remote server window several times, and trying to drag a file from the local window to the remote window (and both windows are synchronized). Because the remote window's log is still scrolling while this happens, it's as if the remote window can't keep up with the user's actions.

0 user(s) are reading this issue

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users