Photo

File changes not showing up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 integrusllc

integrusllc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:39 PM

Version: 1.0.971

I've been using SmartFTP for a long time, and it's worked fine until recently. Now when I load photos like I normally have done, they don't show up on the website. When I delete photos using SmartFTP, they still show up on the website. Any suggestions?

Thanks

- Byron

#2 Aokromes

Aokromes

Entity From Outer Space

• Root Admin
  • 1519 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:16 PM

It's most likely that your trouble is from the browser cache or a transparent proxy, try cleaning the cache or press control+f5 a lot of times.

#3 integrusllc

integrusllc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:37 PM

Any other suggestions? I pressed Ctrl + F5 several times, and the deleted drawings still show up. The changed photos still don't show up. I even went into Internet Options and clicked on Delete Files. Thanks in advance.

#4 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11520 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:11 AM

Hello ...

As Aok suggested the problem is very likely related to the browser cache or a proxy (might be a transparent one).

Are you sure you delete the files from the right folder on the remote server?

The customer support of your web hosting company may also bring some more light into this problem.

Regards,
-Mat
SmartFTP.com

#5 integrusllc

integrusllc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:20 PM

I'm positive that I'm manipulating the files in the correct place. I'm doing it the same way I've done it ever since I started using SmartFTP. The only difference is the files are being changed in Adobe Photoshop CS now instead of Adobe Photo Deluxe. However, some of the files will show up and some won't.

What is the "transparent" thing you're talking about?

Thanks.

#6 integrusllc

integrusllc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:23 PM

Well... I looked at my web page this morning (Monday morning) and everything is back to normal. Strange. Thanks for the help, though.

#7 Aokromes

Aokromes

Entity From Outer Space

• Root Admin
  • 1519 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:10 PM

What is a proxy?
Proxies cache, or store, frequently accessed content, then locally fulfill successive requests for the same content, eliminating repetitive transmission of identical content over network links. Transparent proxies on the OptusNet network cache all requests sent on port 80(http).

To localise traffic patterns, the two components work together in the following way:

A user requests a web page from a browser.
The network analyses the request and, based on certain parameters, transparently redirects it to a local network cache.
If the cache does not have the web page, it will make its own Web request to the original web server.
The original web server delivers the content to the cache, which delivers the content to the client while saving the content in its local storage. That content is now cached.
Later, when another user requests the same web page, the network analyses this request and, based on certain parameters, transparently redirects it to the local network cache.
Instead of sending the request over the Internet or intranet, the network cache locally fulfills the request. This process reduces download time for the client.

What is the difference between a 'proxy' and a 'transparent proxy'?
There is no difference in the role or the functioning of these proxies. In fact they are in many cases the same machine. The only difference is that you do not have to enter specific network settings or any configuration for your HTTP traffic to be captured by a transparent proxy. Because they are built as part of the network architecture, all port 80 traffic must flow through them.