Photo

several suggestions (easier file transfer management relate)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 07:01 PM

1st suggestion already exists.

For others, details follow further down.

[list]
:arrow: local files window to drag'n drop files onto ftp servers

:arrow: toolbar icon for direct upload->select files

:arrow: synchronize: defining files and folders which should be transferred to a server and which can be accomplished by the click of one toolbar icon (for each file and folder defined)

:arrow: register file extension for "smartFTP yourserver.com" to use it in Windows 'send to' functionality

:arrow: remember last folder files have been uploaded from when accessing relevant dialogues

:arrow: open files on ftp servers with application associated with the files extension on ones Windows system
[list]

#2 Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 01:13 AM

see also The Ultimate Explorer Interface and Explorer Namespace Shell Extension :!:

#3 Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 01:56 AM

hey; point 1 exists already as FTP->Local Browser; but it's not that clear!

I only saw View->Toolbars->Local Folder Bar and this doesn't show files

but I like this Local Folder "bars" appearance and placement more; so add a file browsing window similar to cEdits (http://cedit.sourceforge.net/) workspace to this bar

#4 darix

darix
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 10:10 AM

hi,

[quote="Lars"]local files window to drag'n drop files onto ftp servers/quote]

another solution would be setting local folder in the favorite and pressing ctrl+g

[quote=Lars]toolbar icon for direct upload->select files[/quote]

upload to which of my 10 concurrent connection i have at the moment.
and file from which of the 5 localbrowsers

[quote=Lars]synchronize: defining files and folders which should be transferred to a server and which can be accomplished by the click of one toolbar icon (for each file and folder defined)[/quote]

explain please

[quote=Lars]register file extension for "smartFTP yourserver.com" to use it in Windows 'send to' functionality[/quote]

just register smartftp as your default ftp protocol handler.
search the forum for the needed registry changes ( or go through the file extension dialog (on folder settings ))

[quote=Lars]remember last folder files have been uploaded from when accessing relevant dialogues[/quote]

see above note about uploading. and hmm i dont think bloating the config files this much is really needed.

[quote=Lars]open files on ftp servers with application associated with the files extension on ones Windows system[/quote]

already implemented. just "execute" the file (shortcut F4, see context menu of the file for more.)

just my pi cents

darix

#5 Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 01:27 PM

hi,

Hi too!

local files window to drag'n drop files onto ftp servers

another solution would be setting local folder in the favorite and pressing ctrl+g

well, yes; that's the Local Browser; but it has issues: vertical tiling always puts this browser "right" and that's wrong for me (got it? -- it should be left);
also it takes too much space (the ftp browser is OK; that one should remain like that).
Also the Local Folder Bar looks much better (stylish X); so extend it with a file browser below it like cEdit has.

toolbar icon for direct upload->select files

upload to which of my 10 concurrent connection i have at the moment.
and file from which of the 5 localbrowsers

for the active one: instead of "moving" through the context menu 3 levels deep just click an icon! so it's just a shortcut for this upload functionality; perhaps it is worth to add a pull down field to the select file dialogue in which you can select the destination from the current possibilities then

synchronize: defining files and folders which should be transferred to a server and which can be accomplished by the click of one toolbar icon (for each file and folder defined)

explain please

;) [list]1. you get a toolbar icon which when clicking on it shows you a dialogue in which you can enter the path to a file or folder and a ftp server path.
2. This leads to a new icon pop up on the toolbar.
3. When clicking this icon, the corresponding file or folder is uploaded to the corresponding ftp server (so the file or folder and ftp server whos path were entered and which lead to this icon appear) (with overwrite enabled).[list]
This makes the process of updating files on ftp servers really easy: if I work an a webpage and must update it (regulary), I just have to work "locally" on it, save it and then click an icon in smartFTP and I'm done!!

register file extension for "smartFTP yourserver.com" to use it in Windows 'send to' functionality

just register smartftp as your default ftp protocol handler.
search the forum for the needed registry changes ( or go through the file extension dialog (on folder settings ))

this function should send the file to the "yourserver.com"; so it uses smartFTP to upload the selected files in Windows to the ftp server whose name is part of the shortcut which is the shortcut in the send to folder which is utilized.
This will make file uploading a breeze again!

remember last folder files have been uploaded from when accessing relevant dialogues

see above note about uploading. and hmm i dont think bloating the config files this much is really needed.

It's just 1 path and more specifically it's for the Upload->Direct->Select Files.. dialogue. Currently I have to always browse through my folders again because it always starts in the smartFTP folder :-(

open files on ftp servers with application associated with the files extension on ones Windows system

already implemented. just "execute" the file (shortcut F4, see context menu of the file for more.)

it uses my text file viewer for these files; be it images, html or text files; it always uses cEdit

darix

btw.: what's Irssi? There should be one line saying sth like "Hi! Irssi is ... " . This is helpful :-)

#6 darix

darix
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:07 PM

[quote=Lars]well, yes; that's the Local Browser; but it has issues: vertical tiling always puts this browser "right" and that's wrong for me (got it? -- it should be left);
[/quote]

wrong: the last selected window is left if you select the localbrowser and tile vertically the local browser is left. at least for me.

[quote=Lars]also it takes too much space (the ftp browser is OK; that one should remain like that).
Also the Local Folder Bar looks much better (stylish X); so extend it with a file browser below it like cEdit has.[/quote]

hmm maybe. but if you only need the folders try "view -> toolbars -> local folder"
[quote=Lars]for the active one: instead of "moving" through the context menu 3 levels deep just click an icon! so it's just a shortcut for this upload functionality; perhaps it is worth to add a pull down field to the select file dialogue in which you can select the destination from the current possibilities then[/quote]

hmm there can only be one windows active. is it the source or the target. if it is the source whats the target. and vice versa.
hmm the menus ... you know about drag'n'drop i hope?

[quote=Lars][quote=Lars]synchronize: defining files and folders which should be transferred to a server and which can be accomplished by the click of one toolbar icon (for each file and folder defined)[/quote]
:D [list]1. you get a toolbar icon which when clicking on it shows you a dialogue in which you can enter the path to a file or folder and a ftp server path.
2. This leads to a new icon pop up on the toolbar.
3. When clicking this icon, the corresponding file or folder is uploaded to the corresponding ftp server (so the file or folder and ftp server whos path were entered and which lead to this icon appear) (with overwrite enabled).[list]
This makes the process of updating files on ftp servers really easy: if I work an a webpage and must update it (regulary), I just have to work "locally" on it, save it and then click an icon in smartFTP and I'm done!![/quote]

sounds like a job for a script ;)
but imho syncronisation feature is requested more than once. until its done... how about "overwrite if newer". :)

[quote=Lars]this function should send the file to the "yourserver.com"; so it uses smartFTP to upload the selected files in Windows to the ftp server whose name is part of the shortcut which is the shortcut in the send to folder which is utilized.
This will make file uploading a breeze again![/quote]

hmm this is just a question of commandline params. at the moment this is not possible. try curl

[quote=Lars]It's just 1 path and more specifically it's for the Upload->Direct->Select Files.. dialogue. Currently I have to always browse through my folders again because it always starts in the smartFTP folder :-([/quote]

hmm weird. if i choose upload direct -> selected file -> uploaded -> call it again it remembers the path. at least within the same session.

[quote name='Lars]it uses my text file viewer for these files; be it images' date=' html or text files; it always uses cEdit[/quote']
execute not view

[quote=Lars]
btw.: what's Irssi? There should be one line saying sth like "Hi! Irssi is ... " . This is helpful :-)[/quote]

irssi is a console irc client for mainly linux (windows build available for cygwin).

darix

#7 Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:48 PM

do we use the same latest version?

thanks for the execute and last selected info

the last folder isn't saved (after restart of smartFTP)

the other suggestions would have really helped me

the upload->slect files is really just a "shortcut" instead of having to rightclcik the server and move through the context menu.

#8 darix

darix
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 10:21 PM

hi,

do we use the same latest version?

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------

Version           : 1.0.974.7

Time Stamp        : 2003-03-01 01:59:03

thanks for the execute and last selected info

no problem.

the last folder isn't saved (after restart of smartFTP)
the upload->slect files is really just a "shortcut" instead of having to rightclcik the server and move through the context menu.

maybe. but how about setting local folder in favorite and using ctrl+g and drag the files between the windows?;)

the other suggestions would have really helped me

maybe =)

darix

#9 Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 01:43 AM

I've got 9731

yes, favorites will help (but I'm not satisfied with this :-) )

#10 Lars

Lars
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 01:14 AM

[list]
thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users