Photo

Why might SFTP slow down or not fully upload files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sugarprincess

sugarprincess
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:21 PM

I've been using SFTP for awhile now with no problems. Today, however, uploads are slow, sketchy, and full of problems. It takes 30+ seconds to upload a 10kb file. If I send a group of files to be uploaded, it usually craps out halfway through. There are certain graphics files it refuses to fully load (I only get 16 of 28k, resulting in half a graphic)--no matter how many times I try. I haven't made any system changes (that I'm aware of or can recall) since successfully using this program earlier this month. I am at my wit's end and am hoping someone here has some--any--ideas. Thanks.

Edited to add: This is the error message I keep getting...

Connection closed. Server timeout.
   A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately.
   Connection closed. Server timeout.

#2 epp_b

epp_b
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 10:54 PM

Your file transfer speeds do not depend entirely on the application you are using. Also consider other factors, such as your connection type (Dial-up, DSL, cable?). Sometimes it's the other end (the server), and there's nothing you can do but wait.

Try enabling or disabling PASV mode, see if that does anything. Again, it may have nothing to do with anything on your computer, it may be the server you are trying to transfer files to/from. A way to test this would be to connect to a completely different server, and see if there's any change in speed and transferability.

#3 sugarprincess

sugarprincess
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 06:56 PM

I found the culprit. It was my firewall--Sygate. I forgot I was testing it out (I usually use ZoneAlarm). But when I closed it out, everything uploaded perfectly. I tried reconfiguring Sygate but I couldn't see where to change anything (it was set to allow SmartFTP) so now I'm back with ZoneAlarm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users