Nothing shows on my homepage

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

Please help! I'm totally new at this, but thought I followed the SmartFTP tutorials, and everything happened exactly as they said with all the icons ending up in the remote browser window. BUT when I go the web address I used, I only get the message:

"Temporary homepage for account '...'
To replace this homepage, use your ftp account to replace the file "index.html" in your root directory. Note: your ftp user name is '...', and your ftp password is the password you supplied during the creation of your account".

I replaced the actual account and user names in the message with '...' for confidentiality reasons.

I'm using a grapevine web address and trying to upload a family tree web page output by the Legacy family history software. Maybe a bit complicated for a first attempt at a web page :o

#2 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:16 PM

You need to replace the index.html/index.htm/default.htm etc with your start page.

#3 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

You need to replace the index.html/index.htm/default.htm etc with your start page.

#4 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

Wow! Thanks for incredibly quick response! Unfortunately I don't know what or where those are. I only got this far because of the really excellent illustrated step by step tutorials.
Is there another tutorial with pictures that explains?

#5 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

#6 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

OK, trying to work it out. I can see things called "index html" and "index.htm" among all the stuff in the SmartFTP remote browser window, but nothing either there or in the "web" folder under "Legacy" in my C drive is called "Start page". Is that the front page I see when Legacy invites me to see my web page in my browser?

#7 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for quick initial response mb, but don't quite know what it means or what to do next. Guess you don't have time to explain? Maybe SmartFTP is too smart for me.

#8 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:41 AM

Please purchase a license key and premium support will be able to assist you:
http://www.smartftp.com/buy/

#9 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

Try the following:
1. Delete the index.htm and index.html file on your server (in the Remote Browser)
2. Now refresh the root of your website in your browser. e.g. http://www.thisisyourpage.com/
3. You should see a 404 file not found error or similar (if not go back to 1).
4. Now in the folder on your computer (Local Browser / Explorer) which contains all the files of your website you want to upload there should be a file called index.html, index.htm, default.htm, default.html. If yes, then just upload everything and refresh the page in the browser. If there is no such file, rename the page you want to be displayed when visitors are going to root of your website to index.html and upload it.

#10 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

OK mb, I paid :o Hope you're patient!
Regarding step 1, is this something I do in the SmartFTP screen, so I delete them from the remote browser there?

#11 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:25 AM

Yes in the Remote Browser.

#12 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

Step 1 and 2 done, and yes, my web site looks a bit more promising now. At least it has a long list of all the things that are in the remote browser window in the SmartFTP window. There's no error message as such though. Do I now try step 4 and is that something I do in the SmartFTP window?

#13 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

Yes just rename the html file you want to have as your start page in the Remote Browser (in SmartFTP) to index.html then refresh your page in the browser.

#14 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:50 AM

Sorry mb. I bet I'm both your dumbest and most determined client today! In the far left side of the SmartFTP screen, where the data corresponds to what's in my computer, there's a thing called "index", but not "index.html" or any of the other things. Will that do?

#15 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:51 AM

And by far left I obviously meant far right!

#16 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:01 AM

Try to disable the [ ] Hide extensions for known file types in Windows Explorer:
1. Start Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)
2. Go to the menu: Tools->Folder Options
3. Go to View tab
4. Uncheck Hide Extensions for known file types
5. Click OK a couple of times

Now restart SmartFTP. You should see the file extension (.html, .htm) of your files now.

#17 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:19 AM

It seems ridiculous, but I can't find Windows Explorer among the vast array of programs on my computer (sigh). There's some hope though. I've discovered that I can open the web pages if I double click on them in the far RIGHT screen of Smart FTP, so I do know which is the intended front page of my website. Where now?

#18 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:23 AM

Start button
All Programs
Accessories
Windows Explorer

#19 Eurydice

Eurydice
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:36 AM

Done. Thanks, and jumping ahead, Yay! I have a sort of website - except the images aren't displaying and I can't get from other pages back to the home page. Still, I feel I owe you a beer or something. Can you help me further or should I examine the settings in the Legacy file?

#20 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:46 AM

For the images, check the following:
1. Are the image files (.png, .jpg) on the server? If yes are they in the correct folder on the server?
2. Check lower/upper case of the files. On your local computer the case is insensitive, on the webserver the case is sensitive if the server runs on any Unix.
3. Check the img references in your .html files. Are they pointing to the correct path?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users