• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Saurabh

Saurabh
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:56 AM

Hi All,

How i can move files from one folder to another using FTP on the same remote server. Eg if the files are located in temp directory and i need to move it into temp2. How i can achive this?

Thanks in Advance

#2 mb

mb

Developer

• Administrators
  • 11521 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:02 AM

Hello ..

This question has been answered numerous times:

1. The FTP protocol doesn't offer a direct way to do this. It's not a limitation in SmartFTP
2. Workaround:
Open two connections to the same site/server. Drag&Drop from one site to the other. Also see the FXP tutorial at http://www.smartftp.com/support/howto
For this to work your FTP server need to be configured accordingly.

Regards,
SmartFTP

#3 jamroom

jamroom
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

Hello ..

This question has been answered numerous times:

1. The FTP protocol doesn't offer a direct way to do this. It's not a limitation in SmartFTP
2. Workaround:
Open two connections to the same site/server. Drag&Drop from one site to the other. Also see the FXP tutorial at http://www.smartftp.com/support/howto
For this to work your FTP server need to be configured accordingly.

Regards,
SmartFTP

This should be doable with the RNFR and RNTO FTP commands.

http://www.nsftools....tips/RawFTP.htm

- Brian

#4 eyebex

eyebex
  • Licensed User
  • 1860 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:16 PM

This should be doable with the RNFR and RNTO FTP commands.

http://www.nsftools....tips/RawFTP.htm

- Brian

No. "Rename From" and "Rename To" actually move a file (and SmartFTP already makes use of these commands in that case). However, the most recent builds now automatically do what mb suggested above: If the Default D&D Operation is "Queue" and the server supports FXP, the file is copied on the server by opening two connections to it an issuing a server-to-server transfer.

#5 jamroom

jamroom
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

No. "Rename From" and "Rename To" actually move a file (and SmartFTP already makes use of these commands in that case). However, the most recent builds now automatically do what mb suggested above: If the Default D&D Operation is "Queue" and the server supports FXP, the file is copied on the server by opening two connections to it an issuing a server-to-server transfer.

I'm running the latest version, so maybe I'm overlooking something, or not understanding this correctly. For example, I have the following directory structure:

public_html/directory1/music

What I want to do is "move" the music folder up 1 level so it is:

public_html/music

I was not able to find a way to do this.

Also - couldn't a server to server transfer be quite inefficient having the FTP server open 2 connections on itself simply to move the directory/files?

Let me know if I am misunderstanding this, as having come from filezilla this is something I have missed.

Thanks!

- Brian

#6 eyebex

eyebex
  • Licensed User
  • 1860 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

I was not able to find a way to do this.

Just do this as you would in Windows Explorer: Drag & Drop the folder one level up.

Also - couldn't a server to server transfer be quite inefficient having the FTP server open 2 connections on itself simply to move the directory/files?

As I tried to explain, this only is necessary if you want to copy the folder / files, i.e. duplicate the data on the server. If you want to move a file / folder, no other connections are made and RNFR / RNTO is used.

BTW: Both mb and I seem to have mis-read the initial request by Saurabh, who wanted to move files on the server. mb's answer (and mine, partly) refer to how to copy files on the server.

#7 jamroom

jamroom
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:24 PM

Just do this as you would in Windows Explorer: Drag & Drop the folder one level up.

Thanks - I thought it should be as easy as that <_< However (and sorry for so many questions), where do I see "one level up?". Coming from the Unix world, I would normally see "." (for current dir) and ".." (for parent dir) in the directory listing, however I don't see these in the directory listing in smartftp. Is there a setting I should set so I see this directories, so it gives me a place to "drag" the folder to? Or is there an alternate way of doing it? Hopefully that makes sense.

I appreciate your help - thank you!

- Brian

#8 eyebex

eyebex
  • Licensed User
  • 1860 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

We decided not to show any "." or ".." entries in the fileview. Instead, drop the folder to the its destination folder in the treeview on the left (so drag & drop from fileview to treeview).

#9 jamroom

jamroom
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

We decided not to show any "." or ".." entries in the fileview. Instead, drop the folder to the its destination folder in the treeview on the left (so drag & drop from fileview to treeview).

Thank you very much - that solves it. I likely wouldn't have even asked for help on this if I hadn't disabled the "Folder View" pane on the remote server, so that now seems logical. Thanks!

- Brian

#10 foxyshadis

foxyshadis
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:18 AM

<delete>

Edited by foxyshadis, 11 July 2007 - 12:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users