To synchronize (one way) local files with remote files and vice verse by matching names and content.
SmartFTP allows you to control the action taken when synchronizing files with matching names when using the Transfer Queue. By enabling the Integrity Check option (File exist action based on the comparison between hash values, under File Exist Queue), the destination file will be compared against the source file based on content using hash values vs. i.e. size, time, etc. If the content of the destination file is the same, the file is left unchanged. If the content of the destination file is different, the transferring file replaces the destination file. Otherwise, if the Integrity Check option is left unchecked the default File Exist Rules will be used. Though the Integrity Check option is recommended you can edit the File Exist Rules based on your needs. Also, not all servers support the Integrity Check option in which case one way synchronization has to be done using the File Exist Rules. For more information about the File Exist Rules please see the following Knowledge Base article:
KB: File Exist Rules
Currently two synchronization methods are supported. To change the synchronization method, select the item(s) in the Transfer Queue. Then right-click on the selection and select Properties from the context menu. In the Properties dialog you can select the desired Synchronization method.
- One Way Synchronization (Default)
All files/folders from the source will be transferred to the destination. No files will be deleted on the destination.
- One Way Synchronization with Delete
All files/folders from the source will be transferred to the destination. Files/folders in the destination which do not exist in the source will be deleted (on the destination).
The following example shows how to synchronize the contents of a local folder with the contents of a remote folder.
- Select Favorites > Edit Favorites from the SmartFTP menu. The Favorites window appears.
- From the SmartFTP Favorites window select the Favorite to be used. Right click on the Favorite and select Properties. The Properties dialog appears.
- Under the Transfer option select File Exists. From the File Exist tab under File Exist Queue you can enable the Integrity Check by checking the option "File exist action based on the comparison between hash values" or edit the File Exist Rules for the selected Favorite.
- If the Integrity Check is left unchecked, SmartFTP will use the default File Exist Rules for the synchronization.
- From the Favorite Properties dialog menu (on the left side), under the Transfer option select Integrity. Check that the Transfer Integrity option is enabled. The Transfer Integrity is enabled by default as specified on the Default Favorite Settings.
- Click on the OK button to save the changes.
- Connect to the server by opening a new Remote Browser
- Open a Local Browser. Menu: File > New Local Browser.
- Select the files on the local folder that you wish to synchronize with the remote folder. Drag the files from the Local Browser and drop them into the remote folder in the Remote Browser.
- The files/folders will be added to the Transfer Queue
- To change the synchronization method right-click on the items in the Transfer Queue and select Properties from the context menu.
- Start the Transfer Queue.
Requirements for FTP Server
MLST/MLSD (time in UTC)
MDTM (with extension to set date and UTC time)
XCRC or XMD5 or XSHA1
synchronization, file exist, integrity check
What do you think about this topic? Send feedback!