Registration and Favorites Keep Disappearing

Hi there

For several releases now my registration details, favorites and all personal settings (such as the msg box prompt when exiting application) keep disappearing. I end up with a trial version asking me to purchase SmartFTP, with no favorites, just a raw installation. I can re-enter my favorites, import my licence file and everything stays fine until I restart my computer or sometimes it all stays fine for several days. This last time everything was good for about 5 days.

I have uninstalled SmartFTP completely, cleaned the registry and manually searched for any reference to SmartFTP and removed that - done that about 4 times so far. This is a one user computer, I always log on the same, I am not on a domain.

Thanks
Nigel

+- System -----------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

CPU Speed : 3192 MHz
Total Memory : 1023 MB
Free Memory : 262 MB

+- SmartFTP ---------------------------
Version : 2.5.1006.48
Time Stamp : 2007-10-01 21:49:20
Platform : x86

+- Application DLL --------------------
sfFTPLib.dll : 1.5.10.3
sfFavorites.dll : 1.0.2.48
SmartHook.dll : 1.0.2.2

+- Language ---------------------------
SmartFTP.exe : 2.5.1006.48

+- Internet Explorer ------------------
Version : 7.0.5730.11

+- Winsock ----------------------------
Winsock : 2.2

Hello ..

The license key and the favorites are written to the %AppData%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0 folder. SmartFTP does not delete any files there. Therefore something else on your computer deletes the files in this folder.

Regards,
Mat
SmartFTP

Hello ..

The license key and the favorites are written to the %AppData%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0 folder. SmartFTP does not delete any files there. Therefore something else on your computer deletes the files in this folder.

Regards,
Mat
SmartFTP

Hi Mat

Specifically what files are written where. I see only installation files in the "C:\Program Files\SmartFTP\Smartftp Client" directory. There was a SmartFTP.key file there but is was an old licence file which expired at V1.1, I deleted that and it appears to make no difference. I have reloaded the licence text file and added back some favorites, can't see where these have been written to.

Cheers
Nigel

Here:
%AppData%\SmartFTP\Client 2.0

Enable "Show Hidden Files" in the Folder Options in Explorer to see the files.

Regards,
Mat

A little bit more thinking about exactly when this problem would arise and I believe the problem was caused by Window Washer. I have removed SmartFTP from the list of programs that are being cleaned by Window Washer and the problem has not occurred since. This problem could presumably be caused by other Windows clean up utilities as well so I hope this helps others who might strike the same problem.

Cheers
Nigel

Thank you for your update.

What version of Window Washer are you using?
The latest version is 6.5.

Regards,
Mat

Window Washer version is 6.5.5 (build 153)

Cheers
Nigel