UID, GID, Sticky???

Can someone kindly tell me what those are?

Thanks!

Trellis

I don't see anywhere where it says what they do though

i want to know what they will add to the files functionality-- what can you do that can't be done without them?

Thanks for your NON EXISTANT HELP

Sometimes we just wait a little to see if anyone else can come up with a succinct answer...

Yours is a Unix question rather than an FTP one (and about some of the more esoteric aspects of Unix as well) and the exact answer depends on which flavo(u)r of that OS you're using. (Incidentally, I think - and someone may care to correct me - that these have no effect on a Windoze server)

In Unix, a process is owned by someone and some group. I recollect - perhaps incorrectly - that the UID and GID flags force the process to be owned by the process UID/GID rather than by the UID/GID of the person logged in. The sticky bit is generally used on directories and indicates that the directory owner is the only person who can delete files rather than the more usual anyone with write privilege.

Corrections/enhancements to the above answer most welcome.

(Incidentally, please don't shout in the forum - a simple hint will generally suffice.)

D

Trellis:
why do you think you deserve any help as a free user?

I can't believe you just said that, just because I don't freakin give you any <bleeping> money means I don't deserve help? I have to pay you 25 <bleeping> dollars just to get help? I'm not even old enough to drive nor do I have a job or a credit card -- the damn thing that pisses me off most on the web is everyone thinks every single internet user is old and has a job

#1 I can't pay you, nor would I just to get such as small question like that and never need support for it again

what a typical developer -- thinking everything in life is all about money

Ouch!

Mat's simply earning his living. If he spent all his time answering queries from folk who didn't pay for the product then there would be no product. I earn my living in other ways - and sometimes it can take a little time to respond.

As they say around here "You don't get owt for nowt" - except with SmartFTP you get a fine piece of software that you can use within limits without charge.

d

this is true but it's not even SmartFTP support, it's general knowledge-- SmartFTP isn't the only program or whatever on the web that uses UID/GID/Sticky -- they didn't even invent it-- so why would i pay for a SmartFTP license to get a non-SmartFTP question answered