Silly Problem...

.... firstly, hello, new user here! My silly problem is this..... how do you edit html files in SmartFtp??? I can't seem to find this anywhere, and it's driving me nuts!!!! I can upload, download and all the other stuff.... but the changing of html files is somehow beyond me!!!

I'm hoping this is a really easy question to answer, right?! Please!? Lol!

Silly User now Embarrassed Silly User....... :oops:

Edit: forgot to say that when I choose the option to replace the file with the new one, it doesn't change..... ??? Strange!

Don't worry, we all start somewhere

SmartFTP does not have any built-in online editor. And, BTW, there's nothing normal about being able to remotly edit files.

To edit your HTML document(s):
1. download them to your hard drive using SmartFTP
2. open the HTML document(s) in notepad, or FrontPage, or whatever editor you like to use (my personal favorite is Araneae)
3. edit as needed and save them
4. upload those HTML documents and overwrite the old ones (that are on the web)

However, there are some FTP clients that can remotly edit files (sort of -- what they're actually doing is downloading them to a temp folder and automating things). FTPEdit is one very cool remote editor. FlashFXP can also remotely edit files.

If you're overwriting a file and you notice it doesn't change, clear your cache. Depending on how the server is configured, you may have to wait a short while before you can view the updated version of the document.